top of page

Coleshill History 

coleshill_crop.jpg
Coleshill House From The Air.JPG
Coleshill House

Coleshill House was a grand country house on the edge of the village of Coleshill in the Vale of White Horse. Unfortunately it was gutted by fire in 1952 and demolished in 1958.

The building may have been designed by Inigo Jones and was built by Sir Roger Pratt around 1660. Nikolaus Pevsner described it as "the best Jonesian mid C17 house in England".

WW2

During the Second World War Coleshill House was requisitioned as the training headquarters for the Auxiliary Units, the secret British Resistance in the event of a German invasion.

The house was sold by the Playdell-Bouverie family in 1946 and bought by Ernest Cook, grandson of the travel agent Thomas Cook. Substantial renovations were almost complete by 1952 when the house was badly damaged by the fire that gutted the house within a matter of hours.

The shell was demolished in 1958, leaving only four pairs of gate piers from the mid-17th century. Cook gave the estate to the National Trust.

Vistors can now walk around the parkland and see the National Trust village, cafe and workshops.

For Buscot Park and gardens
click here 

Directions

 

The Radnor Arms SNR 6PR

bottom of page